Thursday, March 4, 2010

Protests, Again.

From the Daily Cal:

10:21 a.m.

The marching crowd entered a lecture hall in Pimentel Hall and interrupted an ongoing lecture. Members of the crowd told students to leave the hall and fight for their right of education.

Professor Muller asked the protesters to leave.

"I think you made your point, it's time to leave," Muller said. "You're welcome to stay, sit down and improve your education."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Way to go Prof. Muller. Who, by the way, is a veteran of the Free Speech Movement and was arrested in the historic Sproul Hall Sit In.

He knows that fire alarms in buildings where students are trying to learn, interruptions of midterms, interruptions of lectures in Pimentel, Wheeler, Le Conte, VLSB and Dwinelle, as well as not allowing fellow students to attend classes, which they have a fundamental right to attend, are not the effective means of fixing our university and education systems that we need.

I work at the Disabled Students Program on Campus and am proud of the services which I provide to my disadvantaged student peers. I am saddened that protesters, whom I almost wholly agree with on principle, not practice, did not allow me to walk through Sather Gate to get to work. I was late to work as an effect. Though no one was hurt by my unfortunate tardiness, I don't know what to say to those that today ARE being hurt. And by their fellow students! At the same time that they are being hurt by the system and our state government.

Protest, please! I've been to every lunchtime protest. Our state's system of education is broken as broken can be. But i will not forfeit an education that I value because others have not been as lucky as I have. I will not forfeit an education while I ask for a better one. I will not forfeit an education because it is the weapon with which I will later be able to battle future injustices.

Protest, please! But in a way that helps your fellow students not hurts.

No comments: